Plan your
round the world trip

Visa Requirements by Country

The British passport is one of the most powerful when it comes to visa-free travel, even after Brexit. However, there are still a fair amount of countries that require you to have a visa. In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know so that you can breeze through borders all around the world. We’ll also go through the different entry and visa requirements for each country for people travelling on a UK passport.


The first thing to do when planning a long trip is to make sure you have a passport. It must still be valid for at least six months after the intended end date of your trip. This is because most countries don’t let you enter with a passport that expires in less than six months.

Also check that there are enough blank pages left so that they can be stamped when crossing borders.

If you don’t have a passport yet, you need to apply for one. If you don’t have enough time left on it or it’s already almost full, you need to get it renewed.


Where can I apply and how do I pay?

There are different ways to apply for a passport. Firstly, you can apply online through the website and pay online with a debit or credit card. This is the cheapest and quickest option.

You can also pick up passport application forms from your local Post Office and apply by post. If you want to pay by debit or credit card, you need to complete the additional form in the application pack. You can see what this form looks like here (page 26).

By post, you can also pay by cheque or postal order payable to “Her Majesty’s Passport Office” and include it in your application. Make sure you write your application barcode number on the back of your cheque or postal order.

There’s also the option to use the trusted Post Office Check and Send service, that makes sure your application form is correct and ready to send. With this service, you can opt for the Digital Check & Send, where your application will be completed and submitted digitally, or the Paper Check & Send, where paper application forms will be used. With this service, you can pay by debit or credit card, with a postal order payable to “Post Office Ltd” or with cash at the Post Office.

If you’re abroad, you can simply apply online via the Overseas British passport applications portal. You can pay by debit or credit card by filling in this form and including it with your application.

What documents are required?

For a first passport

All of the following must be original documents or official copies. Photocopies are not accepted.

  • Completed application form
    Online or with a paper form from your local Post Office
  • ID photos
    1 current digital photo of yourself for an online application
    2 current and identical printed passport photos for a paper application (one of them signed and dated by the person confirming your identity, see below)
  • Someone who can confirm your identity (the “countersignatory”)
    Paper form: this person is your “countersignatory” and needs to fill in section 10 of your form and sign and date one of your ID photos. They’re required to have known you for at least two years, be able to identify you as a friend, neighbour or colleague, be trustworthy and well-regarded in their community or work in a recognised profession (e.g. barrister, dentist, journalist, teacher, etc. see full list here), live in the UK, be 18+ and hold a British passport. This person can’t be a partner, spouse or family member.
    Online form: this person will receive an email from the HM Passport Office telling them what to do, which involves confirming your identity online. The same rules from above apply for who can / can’t confirm your identity.
  • Your full birth certificate or adoption certificate
    There are different ways to order these documents: online, by post, by phone or even from register offices. With the priority service they’re sent to you really quickly, as soon as the next working day. Find out more information here.
  • Parents’ details
    This is only required if you were born after 1st January 1983 Details include their names, dates and places of birth, nationality, etc.
  • Parent’s marriage certificate
    In some really specific cases, you may be asked to provide details of your parents’ marriage or civil partnership. Find out more information here (page 17).

For a passport renewal

  • Completed application form
    Online or using the Check and Send service at a Post Office
  • ID photos
    1 current digital photo of yourself for an online application
    2 current and identical printed passport photos for a paper application
  • Your old passport
    Check and Send service: you must bring it to the Post Office
    Online form: you must send it directly to the HM Passport Office
    Outside the UK: take it to your nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate
Damaged British Passport

Dog-eared passport? Time for a renewal!

Credit: James Rutter

How much does it cost?

An adult passport (16 and over) costs £75.50 if you apply online and £85 if you apply with a paper form.

A child passport (under 16) costs £49 if you apply online and £58.50 if you apply with a paper form.

The prices are the same for first time passports, renewals and replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport.

If you use the Post Office Check and Send service, they charge £16 extra, so the total cost is £91.50. While the digital service includes the cost of the photo, the paper service doesn’t.

The prices stated above refer to an adult or child standard 34-page passport. If you go for a 50-page frequent traveller passport, you’ll be charged £9.50 extra, both adults and children.

If you’re applying or renewing your passport from overseas, you’ll have to pay £86 (adult) and £56 (child), plus a delivery fee between £10 and £20.

If you change your name, gender or appearance (significantly), you’ll also need to get a new passport and pay for it.

For an in-depth breakdown of passport fees, see the Home Office Passport Fees Policy.

How long does it take?

If you don’t want to risk being caught out, apply for your passport well in advance. Your passport won’t be made right there and then. Processing times depend on the area you’re in and the time of the year when you apply. The usual turnaround time is about five weeks, but the website currently advises you to allow up to 10 weeks.

Passport Waiting Time website gives you some idea of how long you may need to wait based on other people who have recently applied and received theirs. It’s updated weekly.

However, if you need a passport urgently, there are two services that can issue you one: the Online Premium service and the 1-week Fast Track service.

Online Premium Service

This service can only be used to renew an adult passport that was issued after 31st December 2001.

To use this service, you need to go through the online application process, book an in person appointment at your nearest Her Majesty’s Passport Office, located in Glasgow, Belfast, Durham, Liverpool, Peterborough, London, Birmingham and Newport, and pay the fee online.

It’ll take at least two days to get an appointment. When you go, make sure you take your old passport. The appointment may take up to 30 minutes and costs £177 (34-page) or £187 (50-page), but you’ll be given your new passport there and then.

Average Passport Waiting Time

Check the Passport Waiting Time website for the average processing time

Credit: Passport Waiting Time

1-week Fast Track service

This service can be used to renew a passport, make changes to personal details on a passport, replace lost, stolen or damaged passports and apply for a first child passport.

To use this service, you need to get a paper application form from a Post Office, book an appointment online and pay the fee by card. Again, your appointment will be at one of HM’s Passport Offices. Find your nearest one here.

When you go to the appointment, make sure you bring 2 current and identical printed passport photos, your already filled-in application form and any other necessary supporting documents (as listed above for the paper form application).

This service costs £142 for an adult passport (or £152 for 50-page) and £122 for a child passport (or £132 for 50-page), and it’ll be delivered to your home within 1 week of your appointment.

Urgent travel

You can also contact the Passport Adviceline if you need to travel urgently. This may be due to medical treatment, or because a close friend or family member is seriously ill or has died.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000

How will I receive my new passport?

Your new passport, as well as any supporting documents you sent (old passport, birth certificate, etc.), will be delivered to the address you gave to HM Passport Office. Therefore, make sure you fill in your contact details correctly on the application form


For security reasons, your new passport and supporting documents will be delivered separately, and they often need to be signed for in high risk areas, such as inner city postcodes.

In some countries, if you’re applying whilst abroad, you need to collect your new passport from your country’s embassy, consulate or high commission.

How long is my passport valid for?

An adult passport (16 and over) is valid for 10 years and a child passport (under 16) is valid for 5 years.

How does it work for children?

Children must have their own passport.

The application must be done by someone who has parental responsibility for the child.

The application process is almost the same as for adults and can be done online or with a paper application form. You’ll need to provide both parents’ details when you apply, and if you can’t do that, you need to state why.

Again, you must give original documents or official copies, as photocopies are not accepted.

Do I have a biometric passport?

Identity Biometric Passports Header

Gold camera logo at the bottom? Then it’s biometric.

Credit: Post Office

All passports issued to UK nationals since 2010 are biometric ones.

Given that adult passports expire every 10 years (every 5 years for children), it’s theoretically impossible for you to have a valid non-biometric passport, as it would’ve expired in 2020 (or 2015 for children).

If you still have a doubt about yours, there’s a simple way to tell if it’s biometric or not. If it’s a biometric passport, it’ll have a small, gold circle in a rectangle on the cover, written under the word “passport”. Some people also describe it as a small, gold camera logo.

What’s a frequent traveller passport?

If you plan on visiting lots and lots of countries, you can ask for a frequent traveller passport. It has 50 pages, instead of 34 like a standard passport.

The application procedure is the same as for a standard passport, and anyone can apply for it, but, costing £10 extra, it’s slightly more expensive.

It costs £152 for an adult traveller passport (instead of £142) and £132 for a child traveller passport (instead of £122).

I’ve got dual nationality, does that change everything?

In Argentina, a British national who also has Argentine nationality must present an Argentine passport on entering the country. This peculiarity also exists in Canada and several other countries.

If you have dual nationality, don’t forget to check this information on the Foreign travel advice website or, better still, with the country’s embassies and / or representative offices in London.

See the official London Diplomatic List for contact details and addresses.

Can I have two passports?

Generally speaking, the HM Passport Office doesn’t allow British nationals to have more than one of the same type of passport. However, additional passports are allowed in exceptional cases, such as:

  • business travellers and students who travel frequently
  • frequent travellers who cross borders on a daily basis
  • travel to incompatible countries / countries in conflict, for example: some Arab countries will reject you upon entry if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport

You’ll need to provide supporting documentation in your application, explaining why you need an additional passport.

How can I keep my passport safe?

  • Use a passport cover to prevent it from getting damaged.
  • Don’t put it in your small day bag, keep it in your money belt or in your big backpack.
  • Don’t keep your passport and other important documents or forms of ID in the same place.
  • Make a photocopy and store it somewhere else. Also keep a digital copy on your cloud / drive.

What should I do if I lose my passport or if it’s stolen while I’m abroad?

Cancel your passport

Firstly, you should cancel it. To do this, you need to complete the LS01 form on the website.

Report it to the police

You should also report it to local police as quickly as possible, as they’ll give you a police report or crime number. This report or number will come in very handy when applying for a new passport or emergency travel document (ETD), as well as a replacement visa.

Get a new passport or ETD

Then you need to decide if you want to replace your passport or get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD).

If you opt to replace your passport online, beware that the processing times are the same as in the UK. So, with the current turnaround times in the UK, you could be waiting up to 10 weeks, if not longer. It’s the same price (£75.50) as a standard UK passport application.

Whereas, if you choose to apply for an ETD online, it costs £100 (not refundable but might be able to claim back on your travel insurance). But, it should be ready within 2 working days. So if you’re short on time, it’s definitely the best option.

Sometimes you need to attend an appointment at the nearest British Embassy. This is the case if they can’t complete your application and they need more information or supporting documents, or if you need to collect the ETD in person. After submitting your application, you’ll be notified whether you need an appointment.

However, with an ETD, beware that you can only transit through a maximum of five countries to reach your ultimate destination (home), and these countries and dates will be printed on your ETD prior to travel. So, if you change your travel plans once your ETD has been issued, you’ll have to apply for a new one. What’s more, you can’t use it to go to the US as this document doesn’t include the biometric information that they require for entry.

Get your visa redone and entry stamp

When you get your new passport, it’ll be completely empty. When leaving the country in which you lost your passport, you don’t want to be faced with a customs officer who doesn’t understand why there isn’t an entry stamp for the country you’re currently in. They might suspect that you entered illegally. So, first you need to go to an immigration office to get a new entry stamp for this country before you try to leave.

Perhaps you’d already done your visas for other countries you planned on visiting after. Unfortunately, just like your old passport, they’ve vanished as well. So, you need to get them redone at the relevant embassies or consulates in your new passport if you still want to go to these countries.

For more information on lost, stolen or damaged passports

Monsters Inc movie- Mike And Roz Talking

The wonderful world of administration awaits you

Can I keep my old passport?

If you’ve travelled a lot, you’ll no doubt want to keep your old passport, with all the stamps in it from different countries, as a souvenir.

Fortunately, in the UK, you’re allowed to keep your old passports.

While you do have to send off your old passport with your new application, it’ll eventually be sent back to you. When you get it back, either the top right hand corner of the cover will be cut off or the word “cancelled” will be stamped on several pages so it can’t be used anymore.

And what if I’m not British?

It would’ve taken too much time to list all the information for each English-speaking country. So here’s where you can find the relevant information for Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States.

Different types of authorisations and visas for travellers

The entry requirements for British citizens vary from one country to another. The foreign travel advice website provides key information about entry and visa requirements, country by country.

The foreign affairs website also provides contact details for foreign embassies in the UK so that you can get all the information you need.

There are similar websites for citizens from Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.

At the end of this article, you’ll find a table summarising the entry requirements for every country for people travelling on a full “British Citizen” passport.

Visa not required

The British are lucky as they often don’t need a visa to visit other countries as a tourist. This is true for many countries in Latin America, East Asia, Southeast Asia and Europe. In these countries, it’s really easy: there’s absolutely nothing to do or prepare before you get to the border, and it doesn’t cost a penny to enter the country.

Since Brexit, freedom of movement within Europe is no longer applicable to British citizens. From now on, even if a visa isn’t required, some rules and restrictions are imposed on them. We’ll explain them in detail in the next chapter, “Travelling to Europe and the Schengen Area After Brexit”.

Duration of stay

The amount of time you can stay in another country without a visa is always limited. Depending on the country, the maximum authorised number of days you can stay visa-free generally varies between 30 and 90 days.

This duration of stay is specified on the passport stamp on arrival. Check the number of days that’ve been granted to you, as sometimes the customs officers decide not to grant you the maximum authorised duration of stay. If you plan to stay in the country for a long time, tell the customs officer before they stamp your passport. Once the stamp is done, the authorised duration of stay can’t be modified.

Sometimes you’ll be given an immigration card at customs on your arrival. It’ll specify a date by which you must leave the country. Don’t lose it, because you’ll be asked for it when you leave.

Visa Not Required 90 Days Argentina

90 days allowed ✅

Paying for a visa / tourist card on arrival

Some countries, like Indonesia, Laos and Cambodia grant you a visa on arrival: at an airport, seaport or land border crossing. Other countries, like Cuba or Venezuela, call this document a tourist card.

Getting a visa on arrival in India

Getting a visa on arrival in India

How does it work?

The principle is simple: you pay to be able to enter the country, in exchange the customs officer issues you a document and puts a sticker on your passport or stamps it for you. You don’t have to do anything until you arrive in the country.

How to pay?

You can’t always pay by bank card or in pounds. So, we advise you to have the exact amount either in dollars or the local currency on you.


Visas on arrival aren’t always issued at all border posts. It’s sometimes only offered at international airports and major border crossings. If you plan on entering a country through a secondary border post, then you need to apply for a standard visa or e-visa before entering the country.

Getting an e-visa / electronic travel authorization (eTA) before arrival

How does it work?

More and more frequently, visa application procedures are dematerialised. This means that there are now e-visas or eTAs. In both cases, it involves an online application procedure so that you then get authorisation to enter the country. Once your application is approved, you print a document that you’ll need to show alongside your passport on arrival.

An e-visa can allow a single entry or multiple entries. An eTA (ESTA in the United States, eTA in Canada) usually allows you to enter the territory as many times as you like for a set period of time.

Beware of fake websites

Watch out for non-official websites that sneak into Google results when you search for “e-visa, ESTA, etc. + the name of a country”. These are generally intermediaries who deliver the official document to you, but who take a large commission on the way, without providing any real additional service.

In our table of visas by country, you’ll find the links to the official websites. They usually have a .gov extension at the end of their URL.

Standard visa before arrival

A lot of countries in Africa and Asia still require this type of visa. You’ll need to go to their embassy or consulate before your departure or send them your passport with the supporting documents in order to get it.

There are also agencies that offer to take care of all the paperwork for you.

Generally speaking, standard visas are the ones that allow you to stay the longest.

Working holiday visa

Eight countries have signed an agreement with the UK allowing young people to travel while working for a period of one to two years. You have to be between 18 and 30 years old. Some countries impose a working holiday visa quota, others don’t.

To find out more, take a look at our comprehensive table summarising the useful information for each country that offers a working holiday visa.

You can also take a look at the PVTistes website which is one of the best sources on this topic.

If you’re seriously considering working during your RTW trip, you’ll probably be interested in our “Working While Travelling ” article which talks about working holiday visas, and all the other ways to work while travelling, including some of the most original ideas.

Working Holiday Visa Japan

A working holiday visa for Japan

Credit: Wijapan

Transit visa

Unique PNR number

When you change flights in a country, you normally don’t need a visa. If you buy your tickets at the same time, even if you fly with two different airlines, you’ll only have one PNR (passenger name record) number. Therefore, you won’t have to leave the international terminal to change planes and your luggage will be transferred directly from one plane to another.

Several PNR numbers

On the other hand, if you buy your flights separately or through a website like, you’ll no doubt have different PNR numbers. So, you’ll have to go through customs, collect your luggage and check it in again. In this case, you might need a transit visa. This type of very short-stay visa is specifically designed for travellers passing through a country.

The United States

Many flights between the UK and Latin America pass through the US, often through the hub in Miami. If this is the case for you, you’ll absolutely have to apply for an electronic travel authorization (ESTA), even if you only have one PNR number and you don’t plan on leaving the airport. It costs $14 and you need to do it at least three days before your departure.

Other types of visa

There are many other types of visas: business, student, resident, diplomatic, journalist, medical, asylum, immigrant… We won’t deal with them in this article because it’s only intended for travellers.

What type of visa do I need to do volunteer work?

In most countries, any professional activity that generates a profit, even if it’s only related to accommodation and food, is viewed as a job. So, theoretically-speaking, you must have a work visa to do volunteer work such as wwoofing, helpx or workaway.

However, some countries still allow volunteering with a tourist visa, provided that:

  • you don’t receive any financial compensation
  • volunteering is not the main reason for your visit
  • you don’t take the job from a local
  • you’re not doing your volunteer work in a large, commercial company

The working holiday permit is a good option for countries that offer it to Brits (see our summary table of working holidays visas by country). It’ll allow you to volunteer legally.

In countries that don’t offer working holiday visas or in those where it’s difficult to get one, lots of travellers risk doing volunteer work on their tourist visa.


Don’t say that you’re going to do wwoofing if you only have a tourist visa

If you want to chance it, definitely don’t tell the customs officer that you plan on volunteering, because then they won’t let you into the country.

To find out which visa is required, we advise you to inquire before your departure at the embassy or consulate of the countries you intend on volunteering in.

Travelling to Europe and the Schengen area after Brexit

Before Brexit, Brits could freely visit Europe without any restrictions. Since then, the travelling rights for Brits wanting to visit Europe have changed. As a British tourist, you can still travel to Europe and countries in the Schengen area visa-free but for a limited time of up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

However, if you plan on staying longer in the Schengen area, you’ll need to apply for a specific visa. Unfortunately, there isn’t a basic one for tourists. Instead, they’re for those who want to become foreign residents, are studying, or are travelling for business.

Europe and the Schengen area

The colour-coded map details all the European countries and countries in the Schengen area:

  • 22 countries are members of the European Union and the Schengen area (in blue)
  • 4 countries aren’t members of the European Union, but are members of the Schengen area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) (in green)
  • 6 countries are members of the European Union, but aren’t members of the Schengen area (Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Ireland and Romania) (in pink)

The rules for travelling to Ireland haven’t changed as it’s part of the Common Travel Area (CTA). Therefore, you still have the right to travel, live, work and study there visa-free.

Map of the Shengen area

Countries in which you can stay for 90 days freely in Europe

Documents you may be asked to show

  • Proof of travel insurance
    This is travel insurance that covers your healthcare. If you took out a travel insurance policy, print off a copy of it. If you’re using the travel insurance via your bank, print off a copy from the Visa or MasterCard website. But, be careful as this insurance is only valid for the first three months of your trip.
  • Proof of accomodation
    This could be a copy of your hotel booking, proof of address of your own property or a friend’s your going to visit out there, or an invitatio from your host
  • Proof of funds
    That is to say, enough money to cover your stay e.g. a bank statement
  • Return / onward ticket


In 2023, a new visa waiver programme will be launched for the Schengen area: ETIAS (Europe Travel Information and Authorisation System). At the moment, there’s no system in place. But, when the programme comes into effect, non-EU nationals who don’t require a visa to enter the Schengen area will need to apply for an ETIAS online before they travel. It’s very simple, a bit like the American ESTA or the Canadian ETA, and it’ll cost €7.

How do visas work?

Should I do my visas before I leave or along the way?

Once you’ve finalised your travel itinerary, you’ll be able to figure out the countries you’ll need a visa for before your arrival. Then you need to decide if you want to do your visas either before your departure from the UK, or along the way.

To make life easier, it’s best to do as many as you can before leaving. This’ll save you from wasting time and the hassle of paperwork during your trip.

Nonetheless, if you go away for a long time, the validity period of the visas probably won’t be long enough for all the countries you want to visit. If your expected entry date into a country exceeds the visa’s validity period, you’ll have to do it en route.

If you set off without a specific itinerary, or if you change your route once you’re on the road, you’ll also have to do your visas along the way.

Before departure

You’ll need to go to the country’s embassy or consulate before your departure, send your passport by post, along with the necessary supporting documents, or apply for an e-visa online.

There are also some agencies, like Scott’s Visas, which offer to take care of all the paperwork for you. Of course, you’ll have to pay for such services, and with this company it can be around £200, depending on which country’s visa you’re applying for.

They can be handy for countries which have complex procedures or if you live outside the city and you can’t apply by post.

But at the end of the day, it’s getting the required documents together that takes the most amount of time and, in general, you can send these documents by post. So, you might as well do it yourself, right?

Along the way

You can usually apply for a visa in the country’s consulate or embassy that you want to go to. For example, in Kathmandu, you can get a visa for India if you go to the Indian consulate.

In each major capital, you can find diplomatic missions for most other countries in the world. In smaller capitals, you usually find at least those of the bordering countries. It’s best to check this before you go. Diplomatic relations might be strained between two countries, or perhaps there’s neither an embassy nor a consulate, even in a bordering country.

However, for some countries, like Russia, getting your visa from another country can be pretty difficult. By doing your visa application from abroad, you won’t necessarily be entitled to the same visas as if you were to do it from the UK, particularly with regards to the granted period of stay.

Also, beware of exceptional closures of visa-issuing authorities and delays in issuing visas. If not, you may end up stuck in one country without being able to move on to the next.

Where possible, go for an e-visa or an eTA, as it’ll save you from a lengthy wait at the embassy or consulate.

What documents do I need to apply?

Stack of paperwork

Who doesn’t love a bit of paperwork?

To apply for a visa, you must have a passport that’s valid for more than six months after the start date or end date of your planned stay (depending on the country). It must also have blank pages so that visas can be stamped or glued into it.

If you plan on doing your visas along the way, we advise you to gather all the necessary documents before your departure and take them with you or store them on your cloud. Also take a small stash of ID photos with you, as it’s not always easy to find somewhere to get them taken when travelling.

The full checklist

Visa application procedures and requirements vary from one country to another. The following documents might be required (rarely all of them):

  • Application form to fill out
  • ID photo(s)
  • Photocopy of passport
  • Photocopy of the most recent visas for this country
  • Travel insurance policy (either ask your insurer for it or print it off from the Visa or MasterCard website)
  • Vaccination certificate
  • Plane, train or bus tickets, with the entry and exit dates from the country. Perhaps you don’t know where, when or how you’re going to leave the country. In this case, you really won’t want to buy an exit ticket just to get a visa. However, there doesn’t seem to be an ideal alternative to get around this purchase. Among our readers, many tell us that they’ve shown a “fake” ticket or asked an agency for a “ticket reservation”. One Way Fly charges around £15 for this service. See our article Travelling without a return ticket
  • Hotel reservation. You can cancel them once you have your visa.
  • 1 Excel spreadsheet with a day-by-day itinerary for your whole trip. Don’t worry, you don’t have to stick to it – once you’ve got your visa, they don’t check it.
  • Invitation letter
  • Proof of sufficient funds
  • Proof of address in the UK
  • Travel consent form from parents or legal guardians for minors travelling abroad
  • Copy of your family record book if you’re a minor

How much will I pay?

In countries that don’t require a visa, you don’t have to pay anything on entry. However, you may sometimes have to pay a departure tax, but that’s pretty uncommon.

You often have to pay for visas on arrival. You always have to pay for standard visas, as well as e-visas, but they’re usually a little bit cheaper.

For the same country, the longer the stay and the greater the number of entries, the more expensive the visa is.

You can find a breakdown of visa prices for each country in our visa table.

And what about visas for children?

Visa requirements for children vary from one country to another. For some, the price is the same as for adults, for others it’s cheaper, and for others it’s even free.

What are the turnaround times like?

Standard visas are usually issued to you within one to two weeks. Sometimes the turnaround times are shorter if you do an urgent application, but this is also more expensive than a standard application.

E-visas are issued more quickly, within one to seven days.

Electronic travel authorizations are issued almost instantly. However, you still need to plan at least three days in advance, in case you make a mistake when filling out your application.

For visas on arrival, there’s no waiting period, they’re issued directly at the border.

Migration border checkpoint in Colombia

At the border, your visa is issued there and then by a customs officer

How long is my visa valid for?

The validity period of your visa is calculated from its issue date. You’ll need to enter the country before the end of the validity period, after which your visa will no longer be valid.

Most visas are valid for three or six months. If you’re travelling for a year, you’ll therefore have to do your visas for the end of your trip whilst travelling.

What’s the maximum authorised period of stay?

The period of stay is calculated from your entry date into the country. For the same country, the authorised period of stay may differ depending on how you entered.

When you enter a country without a visa or with a visa on arrival, the granted period of stay is often shorter than if you apply for a visa before your arrival. You need to take this factor into account if you plan on staying there for a long time.

In Thailand, for example, the permitted period of stay with a visa exemption on arrival is 30 days. Whereas, if you get a single-entry e-visa (that you have to pay) via the embassy in advance, you get 60 days.

What’s more, if you didn’t get a visa beforehand, customs officers won’t systematically grant you the maximum number of days. Sometimes, they refer to the return / onward ticket date that you declared to them, and change the authorised period of stay accordingly. If you plan to stay longer, it’s better to tell them as soon as you enter the country.

What if I want to stay longer?

If you entered without a visa, you can sometimes apply to extend your stay. For this, you’ll need to go to an immigration office far enough in advance, that is, before your authorised period of stay expires.

In countries where you can’t extend the visa-exempt period, you’ll have to apply for a visa.

However, it’s not always possible to extend your stay, even with a visa. In Indonesia, for example, if you enter without a visa, you’ll be forced to leave the country after 30 days. On the other hand, if you pay for a 30-days visa on arrival, you’ll be able to extend it without leaving the country.

In some countries, like Thailand, you can do a “visa run”. This involves leaving the country before the end of your visa-exempt period, then going back immediately after. However, the number of entries is usually limited (in this case, twice a year by land in Thailand).

If you entered with a standard visa or e-visa, you can sometimes have it extended at an immigration office, but this option isn’t available in every country.

If you want to find out about which documents you need, processing times, visa expiration dates and, of course, get the addresses of immigration offices, the best solution is to consult the embassy and consulate websites of the countries in question and, if necessary, send them an email.

What happens if I overstay my authorised period of stay?


Beware of overstaying your visa

Most countries impose a fixed fine each day you overstay. It’s usually pretty high. What’s more, if you significantly overstay, you could be banned from entering the territory for several years.

In some countries, you’ll only get a very small fine if you overstay. For example, on some blogs and forums we’ve heard that it was just $1 a day in Peru. Therefore, some travelers choose to stay in the country beyond the authorised duration of stay and pay the fine. However, we strongly discourage you from doing this, as you could potentially get into serious trouble with the local authorities.

How many times can I enter and leave a country?

There are three types of visa:

  • Single entry: once you’ve left the country, you can’t re-enter without renewing a visa, even if you didn’t stay until the end of your visa’s validity period.
  • Double entry: you can enter the country twice during your visa’s validity period.

  • Multiple-entry: you can enter the country as many times as you like during your visa’s validity period.

A single country often offers several types of visas. Multiple-entry visas are usually more expensive.

However, not all countries offer double or multiple-entry visas. So you’ll have to take this factor into account when you’re planning the route of your trip.

What if I don’t see a customs officer at the border?

It may seem surprising, but sometimes you can cross a border without being stopped by anything at all, without encountering any customs officer, and even without realising it. If this happens, then you’re regarded as having entered clandestinely, which is, of course, illegal.

Personally, we almost ended up in this situation at a quiet border between Peru and Ecuador, and another between Mexico and Guatemala.

When a customs officer isn’t there, you must find them, otherwise the consequences can be really serious (a hefty fine or even imprisonment) when leaving the country.

Other required documents at borders

Return or onward ticket

Do I need to have a return or onward ticket to be able to enter a country? This question crops up a lot, especially for travellers who buy their tickets along the way and therefore don’t have a return ticket when entering a country.

Rarely doesn’t mean never

In theory, lots of countries ask for it, but only in theory. We carried out a survey amongst our readers. In practice, backpackers are rarely asked to show a return ticket. Additionally, you almost only run this risk at airports and almost never at land borders.

But rarely doesn’t mean never. We’ve also gathered stories from RTW travellers who were stuck in several countries. Nobody wants to be refused boarding or turned away upon arrival in a foreign country.

To help you steer well clear of this problem, we’ve written a thorough article on this subject and we advise you to read it. You’ll find all the possible solutions there, including one that we highly recommend.

What’s more, we’ve listed all the countries likely to ask you for a return or onward ticket in a table.

See our article Travelling without a Return Ticket

Vaccination certificate

A vaccination certificate may be required to cross many countries’ borders. In reality, it’s only proof of vaccination against yellow fever that’s then required. The risk of being checked for this is higher if you’ve previously stayed in a country at risk. See the list of yellow fever risk areas on the NHS Fit for Travel website

For more information on health when travelling around the world, see our article Health and Vaccines When Travelling

Proof of sufficient funds

In some countries, if you seem a bit “shady” to a nitpicky customs officer, they might ask you to show proof that you have enough money to support yourself for the duration of your stay.

A photocopy of a bank statement is usually acceptable. If you don’t have it on you when you’re being checked, you won’t necessarily be thrown out of the country just like that. If the customs officer is particularly suspicious, they might ask you to show them proof on their computer that’s connected to the internet.

Avoiding problems with customs officers

Whether you arrive by land or plane, it’s better to avoid being painstakingly checked at the border by customs officers.

Even when everything’s perfectly in order, having all your papers checked and your whole bag searched can waste precious time which could in turn cause you to miss a connection and, of course, stress you out in the process.

So, here’s a list of how not to behave if you want to spend the least amount of time with customs officers, who are hardly ever friendly.

Customs officer

Don’t joke with a customs officer

Credit: Shutterstock

How not to behave at customs

  • Make jokes
  • Be disorderly
  • Go through last
  • Look shady
  • Say that you plan on extending your stay
  • Say that you’re going to work out there
  • Say that you don’t have a lot of money
  • Have visas from countries with a bad reputation in your passport
  • Say that you don’t know where you’re going
  • Not have put money aside (in cash and in the local currency or in dollars if necessary), ready to pay for the visa or tourist card on arrival
  • Have prohibited items / products (some countries prohibit you from bringing food, plants, or even muddy shoes into the country as they want to protect their ecosystems)

Avoiding scams at borders

When crossing borders, particularly in Southeast Asia, corruption is a real problem. It’s common for customs officials to deliberately drag things out in order to get more money from you than the official visa cost.

Look into visa prices before crossing borders. Always be polite, but don’t let yourself be pushed around if you’re asked for an extra fee for some phoney reason.

The best way to avoid any hassle is to apply for an e-visa before crossing countries’ borders that have this system in place.

See the section “Borders” in our article How to Avoid Scams While Travelling

Which countries do you need a visa for?

In the map and tables below directly taken from wikipedia, you’ll find a list of information on the visas required for UK citizens, country by country.

To be 100% sure, check the official website for travellers of your country : UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and the United States

You can as well look up the embassy and consulate websites of countries.

Visa Requirements For British Citizens Wikipedia Soumya-8974 via Wikimedia Commons

British Islands (United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey) and Gibraltar – Right of abode

Ireland (Common Travel Area) – Freedom of movement

Visa not required / ESTA / eTA / eVisitor (Afghanistan is disputed )

Visa available both on arrival or online (eVisa)

Visa on arrival


Visa required prior to arrival

Country Visa requirement Allowed stay Notes (excluding departure fees)
flag icon Afghanistan Visa not required[citation needed] 30 days In June 2022, government spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said: “Anyone can visit Afghanistan for the purpose of humanitarian activities and tourism.” which implicitly states that any one going to Afghanistan for Humanitarian or tourism purposes is visa free and there is evidence of visas being issued on arrival .
flag icon Albania Visa not required[39] 90 days
flag icon Algeria Visa required[40]
flag icon Andorra Visa not required[41]
flag icon Angola eVisa[42] 30 days
  • 30 days extendable once.[43]
  • Visitors who have been granted an online pre-visa or have requested a pre-visa from an Angolan consulate abroad are issued a visa upon arrival at the country’s border crossings.[43]
  • Maximum total stay of 90 days within a one-year period.[44]
  • Visitors must have a return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation confirmation.[45]
  • International Certificate of Vaccination required.[43]
flag icon Antigua and Barbuda Visa not required[46] 6 months
flag icon Argentina Visa not required[47] 90 days[48]
flag icon Armenia Visa not required[49] 180 days[50]
  • Visa upon arrival for a maximum term of 180 days in a year.[51]
flag icon Australia eVisitor[52] 90 days
  • If granted, eVisitor allows British citizens to stay in Australia for 90 days per visit.
  • Issued free of charge and valid for one year.
  • According to HPI (Henley Passport Index) methodology pre-departure government approval, like eVisitor manual processing is not considered as visa free.[53]
flag icon Austria Visa not required[54] 90 days
flag icon Azerbaijan eVisa[55] 30 days[56]
flag icon Bahamas Visa not required[57] 21 days
  • Extendable up to eight months.[58][59]
flag icon Bahrain eVisa / Visa on arrival[60] 3 months
  • Visas can be issued on arrival for a stay up to 3 months.[61]
  • eVisa issued for 14 days, extendable once.[62]
flag icon Bangladesh Visa on arrival[63] 30 days
flag icon Barbados Visa not required[67] 6 months[68]
flag icon Belarus Visa required[69]
  • regional visa free access if permitted if you arrive through Minsk national airport however this is defacto very difficult due to economic sanctions and very few countries fly to Belarus – Russia one of the only countries flying to Belarus makes a traveller inlegible for visa free acsess as all travellers arriving from Russia by air need a visa.
flag icon Belgium Visa not required[70] 90 days
flag icon Belize Visa not required[71]
flag icon Benin eVisa / Visa on arrival[72] 30 days[73] / 8 days
  • Must have an international vaccination certificate.
flag icon Bhutan Visa required[74]
  • Visa via approved tour operators only[75][76]
flag icon Bolivia Visa not required[77] 90 days
  • Be aware you may be given an initial 30 days and can extend it for another 60 days.
  • The Department of Immigration has imposed an annual limit for tourists of 90 days without a visa. For longer periods you must seek advice from the Bolivian Embassy in London or the Department of Immigration office in La Paz.[78]
flag icon Bosnia and Herzegovina Visa not required[79] 90 days
  • 90 days within any 6-month period.
flag icon Botswana Visa not required[80] 90 days
flag icon Brazil Visa not required[81] 90 days
  • Extendable for further 90 days[82]
flag icon Brunei Visa not required[83] 90 days[84]
flag icon Bulgaria Visa not required[85] 90 days
  • 90 days within 180-day period
flag icon Burkina Faso Visa on arrival[86] 1 month
flag icon Burundi Visa on arrival[87] 1 month
flag icon Cambodia eVisa / Visa on arrival[89] 30 days
  • Extendable for another 30 days.[90][91]
flag icon Cameroon Visa required[92][93]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon Canada Electronic Travel Authorization[94] 6 months
flag icon Cape Verde Visa not required[28] 30 days
  • Must register online at least five days prior to arrival.[97]
flag icon Central African Republic Visa required[98][99]
flag icon Chad Visa required[100]
flag icon Chile Visa not required[101] 90 days
  • May be extended.
flag icon China Visa not required[102] 6 days British Nationals are Visa Free to China for up to 144 hour / 6 days under TWOV programme
  • Visiting visas issued to British citizens are generally valid for 2 years[105]
flag icon Colombia Visa not required[106] 90 days
  • Extendable up to 180-days stay consecutively within a one-year period.[107][108][106]
flag icon Comoros Visa on arrival[109]
flag icon Republic of the Congo Visa required[110][111]
flag icon Democratic Republic of the Congo Visa required[112][113]
flag icon Costa Rica Visa not required[114] 3 months
flag icon Côte d’Ivoire eVisa[115] 3 months
flag icon Croatia Visa not required[116] 90 days
  • 90 days within 180-day period
flag icon Cuba Tourist Card required[117] 30 days
flag icon Cyprus Visa not required[118] 90 days
  • 90 days within 180-day period
flag icon Czech Republic Visa not required[119] 90 days
flag icon Denmark Visa not required[120] 90 days
flag icon Djibouti eVisa[121] 31 days
flag icon Dominica Visa not required[122] 6 months
flag icon Dominican Republic Visa not required[123][124] 30 days
  • Will normally be granted a 30-day stay on arrival. This can be extended up to 120 days by an extension online.[125][126]
flag icon Ecuador Visa not required[127] 90 days
  • May be extended.
flag icon Egypt eVisa / Visa on arrival[128][129] 30 days
flag icon El Salvador Visa not required[130] 3 months
flag icon Equatorial Guinea Visa required[131][132]
flag icon Eritrea Visa required[133][134]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon Estonia Visa not required[135] 90 days
flag icon Eswatini Visa not required[136] 30 days
flag icon Ethiopia eVisa[137] up to 90 days
flag icon Fiji Visa not required[140] 4 months
flag icon Finland Visa not required[141] 90 days
flag icon France Visa not required[142] 90 days
flag icon Gabon eVisa[143] 90 days
flag icon Gambia Visa not required[145] 90 days
flag icon Georgia Visa not required[146] 1 year
flag icon Germany Visa not required[147] 90 days
flag icon Ghana Visa required[148][149]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon Greece Visa not required[150] 90 days
flag icon Grenada Visa not required[151] 6 months
  • Beginning on 1 December 2020, all travellers to Grenada will be required to complete an online application in order to receive a Pure Safe Travel Authorization Certificate to enter Grenada.[152]
flag icon Guatemala Visa not required[153] 90 days
flag icon Guinea eVisa[154] 90 days
flag icon Guinea-Bissau eVisa / Visa on arrival[155] 90 days
flag icon Guyana Visa not required[156] 3 months
flag icon Haiti Visa not required[157] 90 days
flag icon Honduras Visa not required[158] 3 months
flag icon Hungary Visa not required[159] 90 days
flag icon Iceland Visa not required[160] 90 days
flag icon India Visa required[161]
flag icon Indonesia Visa on arrival[162] 30 days[163]
  • Not available at all entry points.[164]
flag icon Iran Visa required[165]
  • Tourists for Kish Island do not require a visa for a total of 14 days.
flag icon Iraq Visa on arrival[166][167] 60 days
  • British citizens can obtain a visa on arrival at Iraq’s airports, land and sea crossings for 60 days, for a fee of US$75.
  • Visa not required for up to 30 days to Iraqi Kurdistan.
  • On 15 March 2021 the Iraqi government lifted pre-arrival visa requirements, allowing British citizens to apply for visa on arrival in any entry point.[168]
flag icon Ireland Visa not required[169] Freedom of movement (Common Travel Area).[170]
  • British citizens have many of the same rights and entitlements as Irish citizens[171]
flag icon Israel Visa not required[172] 3 months
  • Entry refused to anyone who “knowingly issues a public call for boycotting Israel.”[173]
flag icon Italy Visa not required[174] 90 days
flag icon Jamaica Visa not required[175] 180 days
flag icon Japan Visa not required[176][177] 90 days
flag icon Jordan Free visa on arrival[178][179]
flag icon Kazakhstan Visa not required[181] 30 days
flag icon Kenya eVisa[182] 3 months
  • Can also be entered on an East Africa Tourist Visa issued by Rwanda or Uganda.[183]
flag icon Kiribati Visa not required[184] 30 days
flag icon North Korea Visa required[185][186]
flag icon South Korea Electronic Travel Authorization[187] 90 days
  • British citizens can enter South Korea as a short term visit (e.g., tours, visiting relatives or friends, attending simple meetings) up to 90 days without a visa, though they should remain aware of the quarantine requirements. An onward or return ticket is mandatory. It is illegal to work on a tourist visa, whether as a teacher or in any other capacity.[188]
  • One must be in possession of a Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) to enter Korea visa-free, which can be completed up to 24 hours before boarding a flight, and is valid for two years from the date of approval. There is a small, non-refundable charge.[188]
flag icon Kuwait eVisa / Visa on arrival[189] 3 months[190]
flag icon Kyrgyzstan Visa not required[191] 60 days[192][191]
flag icon Laos eVisa / Visa on arrival[193][194] 30 days
flag icon Latvia Visa not required[195] 90 days
flag icon Lebanon Free visa on arrival[196] 1 month
  • Extendable for 2 additional months; granted free of charge at Beirut International Airport or any other port of entry if there is no Israeli visa or seal, holding a telephone number, an address in Lebanon, and a non-refundable return or circle trip ticket.
flag icon Lesotho Visa not required[197] 14 days
flag icon Liberia Visa required[198][199]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon Libya Visa required[200]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon Liechtenstein Visa not required[201] 90 days
flag icon Lithuania Visa not required[202] 90 days
flag icon Luxembourg Visa not required[203] 90 days
flag icon Madagascar eVisa / Visa on arrival[204] 90 days
flag icon Malawi eVisa / Visa on arrival[205][206] 90 days
flag icon Malaysia Visa not required[207] 3 months
flag icon Maldives Free visa on arrival[208] 30 days
flag icon Mali Visa required[209]
flag icon Malta Visa not required[210] 90 days
flag icon Marshall Islands Visa not required[211] 90 days
  • 90 days within any 180-day period
flag icon Mauritania Visa on arrival[212]
flag icon Mauritius Visa not required[213] 90 days
flag icon Mexico Visa not required[214] 180 days[215]
  • Visa stamp (up to 180 days) length determined on arrival
flag icon Federated States of Micronesia Visa not required[216] 30 days
flag icon Republic of Moldova Visa not required[217] 90 days
  • 90 days within any 180-day period
flag icon Monaco Visa not required[218]
flag icon Mongolia eVisa[219] eVisa is available, 30 days for tourism or 10 days for transit.
flag icon Montenegro Visa not required[220] 90 days
  • Must register with the local police station (either through a tourist organization or at hotel reception) within 24 hours of arrival.[221]
flag icon Morocco Visa not required[222] 90 days
  • For periods of longer than 90 days, a resident permit is required and can be issued by the Police Department in place of residence in Morocco.[223][224]
flag icon Mozambique Visa on arrival[225] 30 days[226]
flag icon Myanmar eVisa[227] 28 days
flag icon Namibia Visa not required[228] 3 months
flag icon Nauru Visa required[231]
  • In addition of a visa, an application should be obtained by email via the Directorate of Immigration.
flag icon   Nepal Visa on arrival[232] 90 days
  • Visa-on-arrival is extendable[233]
flag icon Netherlands Visa not required[234] 90 days
flag icon New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority[235] 6 months
  • May enter using eGate.[236]
  • International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy must be paid upon requesting an Electronic Travel Authority.[237]
  • Holders of an Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Resident Return Visa may be granted a New Zealand Resident Visa on arrival permitting indefinite stay (pursuant to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement), subject to meeting character requirements and obtaining an Electronic Travel Authority prior to departure.[238] Such travellers are not required to pay the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy.[237]
flag icon Nicaragua Visa not required[234] 90 days
flag icon Niger Visa required[239][240]
flag icon Nigeria Visa required[241]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon North Macedonia Visa not required[242] 90 days
flag icon Norway Visa not required[243] 90 days
flag icon Oman eVisa[244] 30 days
flag icon Pakistan Online Visa / ETA[245] 30 days
  • Electronic Travel Authorization to obtain a visa on arrival for tourism purposes.[246]
  • Electronic Travel Authorization to obtain a visa on arrival for business purposes.[247]
  • Online Visa eligible.[248]
flag icon Palau Free visa on arrival[249] 30 days
flag icon Panama Visa not required[250] 90 days
  • As of December 2021: The maximum time of stay in Panama will be 1 to 3 months. If the visa is granted for 3 months, it cannot be extended. If the visa is for a shorter time and you need to extend your stay, you must apply personally to the National Immigration Service Directorate upon arrival in Panama.[251]
  • Regular entry: Visa stamp (180 days) length determined on arrival
  • The maximum amount of time that you can stay in Panama is six months. For longer than six months, you may extend your stay applying for an extension of visa with the Offices of Immigration in Panama.[252] British nationals don’t need a visa to visit Panama except if arriving by sea.[253][254]
flag icon Papua New Guinea eVisa / Free visa on arrival[255] 60 days
flag icon Paraguay Visa not required[256] 90 days
flag icon Peru Visa not required[257] 183 days
  • Visa stamp (up to 183 days) length determined on arrival
flag icon Philippines Visa not required[258][259] 30 days
  • A tourist visa is available from the Philippine Embassy before you travel, which will allow an initial total of 59-day stay.[258][260]
  • For longer periods, a visa extension is available once inside the country from the Bureau of immigration.[261]
flag icon Poland Visa not required[262] 90 days
flag icon Portugal Visa not required[263] 90 days
flag icon Qatar Visa not required[264] 30 days
flag icon Romania Visa not required[265] 90 days
  • 90 days within any 180-day period[35]
flag icon Russia Visa required[266]
  • 72-hours visa free visit when entering by regular ferry via port of St. Petersburg, provided that a passenger spends the night on-board or in accommodation specifically approved by the travel agency.[267]
flag icon Rwanda eVisa / Visa on arrival[268] 30 days[269]
  • Can also be entered on an East Africa Tourist Visa issued by Kenya or Uganda.[183]
flag icon Saint Kitts and Nevis Visa not required[270] 3 months
flag icon Saint Lucia Visa not required[271] 6 weeks
flag icon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Visa not required[272] 6 months
flag icon Samoa Free Entry permit on arrival[273] 60 days
flag icon San Marino Visa not required[274]
flag icon Sao Tome and Principe Visa not required[275] 15 days
flag icon Saudi Arabia eVisa / Visa on arrival[276][277] 90 days
flag icon Senegal Visa not required[278] 90 days
flag icon Serbia Visa not required[279] 90 days
flag icon Seychelles Free Visitor’s Permit on arrival[280] 3 months
  • Issued free of charge.
flag icon Sierra Leone Visa on arrival[281][282] 30 days
flag icon Singapore Visa not required[283] 90 days
flag icon Slovakia Visa not required[284] 90 days
flag icon Slovenia Visa not required[285] 90 days
flag icon Solomon Islands Free Visitor’s permit on arrival[286] 3 months
  • Issued free of charge.
flag icon Somalia Visa on arrival[287]
flag icon South Africa Visa not required[288] 90 days[289]
flag icon South Sudan Visa required[290][291]
flag icon Spain Visa not required[292] 90 days
flag icon Sri Lanka ETA / Visa on arrival[293] 4 months
  • Visa on arrival with Electronic Travel Authorization.
  • British citizens are allowed to extend their stay twice when in the country to a maximum stay of 90 days in total.[294]
flag icon Sudan Visa required[295][296]
flag icon Suriname E-tourist card[297] 90 days
  • Multiple entry eVisa is also available.[298]
flag icon Sweden Visa not required[299] 90 days
flag icon Switzerland Visa not required[300] 90 days
flag icon Syria Visa required[301][302]
  • Visa not required for citizens born in Syria.
flag icon Tajikistan eVisa[303] 45 days
flag icon Tanzania eVisa / Visa on arrival[304][305] 3 months
flag icon Thailand Visa not required[306][307] 30 days
  • If not arriving by air, British citizens are only permitted two visits per year.
  • For longer periods up to 60 days, a Tourist visa is available online.[306]
flag icon East Timor Visa on arrival[308] 30 days
flag icon Togo Visa on arrival[309] 7 days
flag icon Tonga Free visa on arrival[310] 31 days
flag icon Trinidad and Tobago Visa not required[311]
flag icon Tunisia Visa not required[312] 3 months
flag icon Turkey Visa not required[313] 3 months
  • 90 days within any 180-day period (as of 2 March 2020)
flag icon Turkmenistan Visa required[314]
  • Pre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
flag icon Tuvalu Free visa on arrival[315] 1 month
flag icon Uganda eVisa[316] 3 months
  • May apply online.[317]
  • Can also be entered on an East Africa Tourist Visa issued by Kenya or Rwanda.
flag icon Ukraine Visa not required
  • 90 days within any 180-day period
flag icon United Arab Emirates Free visa on arrival[318] 30 days
flag icon United States Visa Waiver Program[319] 90 days
flag icon Uruguay Visa not required[323] 90 days
flag icon Uzbekistan Visa not required[324] 30 days
flag icon Vanuatu Visa not required[325] 30 days
flag icon  Vatican City Visa not required[326]
flag icon Venezuela Visa not required[327] 90 days[328]
  • Extensions of up to 90 days can be arranged at any SAIME (immigration service) for a fee and must apply before one’s tourist card and stamp expire.[329]
  • One can only apply for or extend their (residency permit) at the main SAIME office in Caracas.[329]
flag icon Vietnam Visa not required[330] 15 days
  • A single entry eVisa valid for 30 days is also available.[331] Visa exemption extended until 30 June 2021.[332][333][124]
  • For periods longer than 30 days, a tourist visa is available.[334]
flag icon Yemen Visa required[335][336]
  • A single tourist visa for British citizens is issued for a maximum stay of 60 days from arrival into Yemen.
flag icon Zambia eVisa / Visa on arrival[337] 90 days
  • British citizens are eligible for a universal visa allowing access to Zimbabwe.[338]
flag icon Zimbabwe eVisa / Visa on arrival[339] 3 months
  • British citizens are also eligible for a universal visa allowing access to Zambia.[338]

Working Holiday Visa: useful info for each country

Countries offering Working Holiday Visas

Age limit Max. duration of stay Validity period Doable from abroad Quota of places for UK citizens Selection process Proof of funds Visa price Links
Australia 30 years 1 year 1 year Yes Unlimited None £2,800 £280 Official website
Canada 30 years 2 years 1 year Yes 5,000 Random draw £1,600 £100 Official website
Hong Kong 30 years 1 year No 1,000 First come, first served £2,300 £24 Official website
Japan 30 years 1 year 1 year No 1,000 First come, first served £2,500 (£1,500 with a booked return trip) £20 Official website
New Zealand 30 years 23 months 1 year Yes Unlimited None £180 / month of your stay £143 Official website
Singapore 25 years 6 months 3 months No 2,000 Not specified £103 Official website
South Korea 30 years 1 year 3 months No 1,000 First come, first served £1,500 £193 Official website
Taiwan 30 years 6 months (renewable for another 6 months) 3 months No 1,000 £2,200 (£1,600 with a booked return trip) £50 Official website